Search my blog

Thursday, March 25, 2010

21-23rd Run: Retiring the old shoes.

Well, my skin has finally gotten tough enough to withstand the shoes. Although I have been running on the grass more, which may have something to do with it.

I ran an easy 2 mile run the other day at a slower pace (8:40 miles) and it felt pretty good. Today or tomorrow I will see if I can run really far at that pace. My foot arches didn't seem to get as tired, and I felt like they could have gone forever at this pace. It is going to take awhile for my arches to get stronger and be able to support me running long distances at a decent pace, but I'm willing to work at it.

For now, the plan is to run 2 days on, 1 day off, until my feet and shins can handle running 6 days a week. I am still can feel my shin splints, but they don't seem to be getting any worse, which is a good thing. I might have to get more aggressive with treatment (icing, slowing my pace, and ibuprofen) without having to stop running.

I will let you know how my long run goes. I'm hoping I will be able to go 10-12 miles. So far the longest I have run in the Vibrams is 6.5, so it will be interesting to see how big of a difference a slower pace makes.

No comments:

Post a Comment